This is a fantastic time in the sporting year - World Cup, Wimbledon, US Open Golf, IAAF Athletics. Fantastic. It is also a lively time for me sport-wise as I try to balance running and tennis.
Saturday was interesting in that respect. I had a shoulder op in Jan and have been on a race to get back for this tennis season ever since. Things have been going well, although re-modelling my serve to help my shoulder has been tough - I have twenty years of ingrained technique to overcome, and serving is so fundamental even at my level.
On Saturday I was playing for my club - Halton Village - against arch rivals Great Missenden. Halton is a fantastic club if you ever get the chance to visit - if Lane4 was a tennis club, it would look and feel much like Halton.
http://www.haltontennis.co.uk/
So - things were tight against our rivals, and my job in the doubles pair was to serve at 4-5. I was fairly confident having played reasonably well most of the day. I was 40-30 up....and it all went wrong. Out of nowhere 2 double faults. I didn't feel nervous or anxious, they just happened. Being frank about it, my new technique just folded under pressure. Something I had done hundreds of times before that day inexplicably went wrong when it really counted. It had to be the pressure...and yet I wasn't conscious of it. We lost the Game, and so the set.
The irony of this was not lost on me when 3 hours later I was watching England vs United States in the World Cup. I guess I saw exactly the same thing happen to Robert Green on a far bigger stage.
It's not many people who can say this, but Robert Green is now my role model as I pick myself up and dust myself down. I thought his reaction both in the moment and in front of the media was absolutely world class. Effectively he said, ''it happens, I prepare for handling it, I learn from what happened and move on''.
Technique does break down - in particular when it is new. A new serve or a new strategy...it is all the same. It happens, we deal with it, we move on.
Those Lagging Behind Need to Stay There
15 hours ago

Hi Matt, couldn't agree more about Rob Green - most people underestimate pressure in actually doing it.As we both know its a lot easier stood on the sidelines than actually playing! In sport as well as in business.
ReplyDeleteCheers
David